[zathura] Zathura launches five deamons?
zathura-pwmt.org
2014-01-05 12:46:11 UTC
Hello,

I am using `zathura` as a fast & lightweight PDF viewer, I do like it a lot.

Recently, however, I've realised that running `zathura` for the first time
also launches the following *five* processes (observed via `top`):

dbus-launch --autolaunch 0389ea1a1cc648c096dbf2ebed9276de --binary-syntax --close-stderr

/usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi-bus-launcher

/usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/at-spi2/accessibility.conf --nofork --print-address 3

/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session

These processes continue after zathura terminates. The do not go away until
the end of my session. For a lightweight tool, I find this quite surprising,
and frankly, I don't like unnecessary processes running in the background. So
here are my questions:

1. Why are these deamons started?

2. Can I avoid them being started?

- If so, how?

- If not, how can I get rid of them automatically when `zathura`
terminates?

System Information: I'm running zathura 0.2.6-1 on Arch Linux. There's no
nifty Desktop environment, only a simple FVWM launched from a `.xsession`
script. I like it simple.

Kind regards,
Stefan

--
Stefan Klinger o/klettern
/\/ bis zum
http://stefan-klinger.de
Sebastian Ramacher
2014-01-05 13:43:29 UTC
Hi
Post by zathura-pwmt.org
Recently, however, I've realised that running `zathura` for the first time
dbus-launch --autolaunch 0389ea1a1cc648c096dbf2ebed9276de --binary-syntax --close-stderr
/usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi-bus-launcher
/usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/at-spi2/accessibility.conf --nofork --print-address 3
/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session
These processes continue after zathura terminates. The do not go away until
the end of my session. For a lightweight tool, I find this quite surprising,
and frankly, I don't like unnecessary processes running in the background. So
1. Why are these deamons started?
Because GTK+ 3 starts the AT bridge automatically. Since you do not
appear to have a D-Bus session running, this will also cause a D-Bus
session to be started. Note this will happen with any GTK+ 3
application, not only zathura.
Post by zathura-pwmt.org
2. Can I avoid them being started?
- If so, how?
Setting NO_AT_BRIDGE=1 in your environment should stop GTK+ 3 from
starting the AT bridge.

Regards
Sebastian Ramacher
zathura-pwmt.org
http://stefan-klinger.de
zathura-pwmt.org
2014-01-05 14:24:41 UTC
Post by zathura-pwmt.org
Recently, however, I've realised that running `zathura` for the first time
[...]
Note this will happen with any GTK+ 3 application, not only zathura.
Now I'll have to find out why GTK+3 is doing this...

[...]
Post by zathura-pwmt.org
2. Can I avoid them being started?
Setting NO_AT_BRIDGE=1 in your environment should stop GTK+ 3 from
starting the AT bridge.
Yes, that solved my problem! I wonder what other issues I've earned that
way...

Thank you very much!
Stefan
http://stefan-klinger.de
Sebastian Ramacher
2014-01-05 14:31:58 UTC
Post by zathura-pwmt.org
Post by zathura-pwmt.org
Recently, however, I've realised that running `zathura` for the first time
[...]
Note this will happen with any GTK+ 3 application, not only zathura.
Now I'll have to find out why GTK+3 is doing this...
At some point the GTK+ developers decided that accessability by default
is a good thing. I don't remember the bug number, but this should have
happened some time around the release of GTK+ 3.6.
Post by zathura-pwmt.org
[...]
Post by zathura-pwmt.org
2. Can I avoid them being started?
Setting NO_AT_BRIDGE=1 in your environment should stop GTK+ 3 from
starting the AT bridge.
Yes, that solved my problem! I wonder what other issues I've earned that
way...
It should also be possible to rebuild GTK+ 3 with --without-atk-bridge
if you want to get rid of it (at least according to the changelog entry
for GTK+ 3.5.6).

Regards
--
Sebastian Ramacher