[zathura] Can I "Go back to the last position of the document"?
yuanhang zheng
2013-08-25 11:20:56 UTC
Hi all,
I am a fancy of zathura. After using this great pdf viewer for a long
time, I found some problems.
1. When I typed 'f' and then type the link number, I will be
navigated to the position of the link. But how can I go back to the
last position that I typed 'f'? This is the "Go back" function in
other pdf viewer.
2. I have found that the "select text" function won't work in my
Archlinux, the text is not in the clipboard so that I can't paste to
my editor. Now I just use the "xsel" togother with the "xclip" tool
to send them into the clipboard. Although zathura says that the text
have been in the clipboard, they are actually not there.

Can you help me to solve this two problems? If they are not such two
functions, I think I can contribute to the project. Thanks!
--
Yuanhang Zheng
Email: zhengyhn at gmail.com
Blog: en.zhengyuanhang.com
Marwan Tanager
2013-08-28 08:52:04 UTC
Post by yuanhang zheng
navigated to the position of the link. But how can I go back to the
last position that I typed 'f'? This is the "Go back" function in
other pdf viewer.
You can go back and forth after any jump using Ctrl-o and Ctrl-i after,
just like in Vim.
Post by yuanhang zheng
2. I have found that the "select text" function won't work in my
Archlinux, the text is not in the clipboard so that I can't paste to
my editor. Now I just use the "xsel" togother with the "xclip" tool
to send them into the clipboard. Although zathura says that the text
have been in the clipboard, they are actually not there.
Can you help me to solve this two problems? If they are not such two
functions, I think I can contribute to the project. Thanks!
Personally, I have the same problem, and I don't know why it happens, so I
can't be very helpful on this one.

Good luck.
--
Yuanhang Zheng
Email: zhengyhn at gmail.com
Blog: en.zhengyuanhang.com
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hello,
Post by Marwan Tanager
Post by yuanhang zheng
2. I have found that the "select text" function won't work in my
Archlinux, the text is not in the clipboard so that I can't paste to
my editor. Now I just use the "xsel" togother with the "xclip" tool
to send them into the clipboard. Although zathura says that the text
have been in the clipboard, they are actually not there.
Personally, I have the same problem, and I don't know why it happens, so I
can't be very helpful on this one.
This works just fine for me under Arch Linux. In zathura we use the PRIMARY
selection which is conventionally used for copying and pasting.

Do you see any error message on the stderr if you try to select something?

Best regards,
Moritz
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:30:48AM +0200, Moritz Lipp wrote:

Hi.
Post by Moritz Lipp
Post by Marwan Tanager
Personally, I have the same problem, and I don't know why it happens, so I
can't be very helpful on this one.
This works just fine for me under Arch Linux. In zathura we use the PRIMARY
selection which is conventionally used for copying and pasting.
I use Zathura under Ubuntu, not Arch, but I don't know if this implies
anything.
Post by Moritz Lipp
Do you see any error message on the stderr if you try to select something?
No, there is no errors at all if I ran Zathura in debugging mode, while
selecting some text.

FYI, this problem has persisted with me since day one of using Zathura, and
it's quite annoying. Unfortunately, though, I haven't had much time to
investigate and fix it.

Marwan
Sebastian Ramacher
2013-08-29 13:36:46 UTC
Post by Marwan Tanager
Hi.
Post by Moritz Lipp
Post by Marwan Tanager
Personally, I have the same problem, and I don't know why it happens, so I
can't be very helpful on this one.
This works just fine for me under Arch Linux. In zathura we use the PRIMARY
selection which is conventionally used for copying and pasting.
I use Zathura under Ubuntu, not Arch, but I don't know if this implies
anything.
So I just tried it on Ubuntu (running Xfce), selected some text, used
the middle mouse button to insert into a text editor and everything
worked.

Maybe we should make the buffer configurable?

Regards
Sebastian Ramacher
Marwan Tanager
2013-08-29 13:53:31 UTC
Post by Marwan Tanager
Post by Marwan Tanager
Hi.
Post by Marwan Tanager
Post by Marwan Tanager
Post by Moritz Lipp
selection which is conventionally used for copying and pasting.
I use Zathura under Ubuntu, not Arch, but I don't know if this implies
anything.
So I just tried it on Ubuntu (running Xfce), selected some text, used
the middle mouse button to insert into a text editor and everything
worked.
Maybe we should make the buffer configurable?
I don't use the mouse. I paste using Ctrl-v after selecting the text (which
just pastes the last clipboard contents that don't belong to Zathura).
Actually, I don't have a mouse; only a touchpad, and I hate using it, and
don't know what the equivalent of the middle mouse botton would be on the
touchpad.

In Zathura, I expect everything to be doable by the keyboard, which, I
think, is what it is good at, and the reason why I love using it.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Marwan Tanager
I don't use the mouse. I paste using Ctrl-v after selecting the text (which
just pastes the last clipboard contents that don't belong to Zathura).
Actually, I don't have a mouse; only a touchpad, and I hate using it, and
don't know what the equivalent of the middle mouse botton would be on the
touchpad.
You can paste the clipboard with Shift and Insert.

Best regards,
Moritz
Post by Marwan Tanager
Post by Marwan Tanager
Post by Moritz Lipp
selection which is conventionally used for copying and pasting.
I use Zathura under Ubuntu, not Arch, but I don't know if this implies
anything.
So I just tried it on Ubuntu (running Xfce), selected some text, used
the middle mouse button to insert into a text editor and everything
worked.
Maybe we should make the buffer configurable?
I don't use the mouse. I paste using Ctrl-v after selecting the text (which
just pastes the last clipboard contents that don't belong to Zathura).
Actually, I don't have a mouse; only a touchpad, and I hate using it, and
don't know what the equivalent of the middle mouse botton would be on the
touchpad.
Using Shift + Insert should have the same effect as using the middle
mouse button (provided I'm not confusing the dfiffernt clipboards).
Sebastian Ramacher
Marwan Tanager
2013-08-29 14:14:17 UTC
Same problem. Shift + Insert just pastes the last clipboard contents before
selecting the text, ignoring the selected text which Zathura says that it
has been added to the clipboard
Post by Marwan Tanager
On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Sebastian Ramacher <sebastinas at pwmt.org
Post by Marwan Tanager
Post by Marwan Tanager
Hi.
Post by Marwan Tanager
Same problem. Shift + Insert just pastes the last clipboard contents before
selecting the text, ignoring the selected text which Zathura says that it
has been added to the clipboard
Do you have anything running that messes with your clipboards? The
PRIMARY selection is for middle mouse button / shift+insert, the
CLIPBOARD slection for Ctrl+C/Ctrl-V. And we're using PRIMARY here.

Regards
Sebastian Ramacher
Marwan Tanager
2013-08-29 15:17:03 UTC
Post by Sebastian Ramacher
Post by Marwan Tanager
Same problem. Shift + Insert just pastes the last clipboard contents before
selecting the text, ignoring the selected text which Zathura says that it
has been added to the clipboard
Do you have anything running that messes with your clipboards? The
PRIMARY selection is for middle mouse button / shift+insert, the
CLIPBOARD slection for Ctrl+C/Ctrl-V. And we're using PRIMARY here.
Then, we have to make the buffer configurable, as you suggested earlier.

P.S. Sorry about top-posting (default in gmail web interface), and the
garbled text in my last mails, which is caused by the gmail web
interface that I have to use, since I'm currently behind a firewall.
Marwan Tanager
2013-08-31 02:12:34 UTC
Post by Sebastian Ramacher
Post by Marwan Tanager
Same problem. Shift + Insert just pastes the last clipboard contents before
selecting the text, ignoring the selected text which Zathura says that it
has been added to the clipboard
Do you have anything running that messes with your clipboards? The
PRIMARY selection is for middle mouse button / shift+insert, the
CLIPBOARD slection for Ctrl+C/Ctrl-V. And we're using PRIMARY here.
After I changed the selection to CLIPBOARD, I was able to paste using Ctrl-v,
AND ALSO with Shift-Insert. I don't know whether this is normal behavior, or
Shift-Insert should work only with the PRIMARY selection, and the problem is
specific to my system.

Anyway I will provide a patch for making the clipboard configurable, with the
CLIPBOARD selection being set as the default.

Marwan
Marwan Tanager
2013-08-31 14:49:21 UTC
Post by yuanhang zheng
2. I have found that the "select text" function won't work in my
Archlinux, the text is not in the clipboard so that I can't paste to
my editor. Now I just use the "xsel" togother with the "xclip" tool
to send them into the clipboard. Although zathura says that the text
have been in the clipboard, they are actually not there.
Can you help me to solve this two problems? If they are not such two
functions, I think I can contribute to the project. Thanks!
Could you please try the following, and let's see whether this would solve your
issue:

- Build Zathura from the 'develop' branch, after pulling the latest
changes.

- Put the following line in your ~/.config/zathura/zathurarc:

set selection-clipboard clipboard

- Open some pdf with Zathura, select some text, and paste it using
Ctrl-v, and see whether pasting still doesn't work.

- Repeat the same 2 steps with the configuration in zathurarc changed
to:
set selection-clipboard primary

, and with using Shift-Insert for pasting instead of Ctrl-v

If 'primary' doens't work, but 'clipboard' does, then you have to stick with
the 'clipboard' option and pasting with Ctrl-v. Then, we can conclude that the
PRIMARY X clipboard has troubles working on some systems (including mine).

--
Marwan